Breaking New Ground and Swimming Towards Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Servite President Pete Bowen '82 addresses the student body at the groundbreaking of the new aquatics center (photo by Phil Mangiaracina)

Picasa

Picasa

Picasa

Joseph Beaird, Staff Writer

Servite is building its new Aquatic Center and with construction comes groundbreaking. The new center will change Servite massively, and will make a name for itself outside the Servite community.

Many students are excited about this pool, and their joy can hardly be contained. However, the community will not have to wait anxiously for too long. People can rest assured that the construction should be completed in November.

The new Aquatics Center will be named the Fitzpatrick Aquatics Center, which leaves many students wondering about the name’s origins. It is being named after Fr. Fitzpatrick who was a beloved priest and the old Aquatics director. Tim Buckley ‘71 commented that “Fr. Fitzpatrick provided wisdom, knowledge, and energy to the student athletes at Servite. He expected greatness! He deserves the recognition.”

People may wonder what will happen to the old Aquatics Center. Servite President Pete Bowen ‘82 confirmed that “[it will] be removed and turned into 50 additional parking spaces.” According to Mr. Bowen, “25 additional parking spaces will become available near the Fitzpatrick Aquatic Center.”

The Fitzpatrick Center has many accolades to its name. The new pool is twice the size of the original. The new pool will have a massive impact on Servite because of its large length of 51 feet, allowing much more space for all aquatics sports. The extra space can be provided thanks to its new features and capabilities. Furthermore, Servite will now be able to host CIF meets.

The possibilities with the new pool are practically endless. Not only will it allow Servite to host multiple competitions at the same time, but it can also be opened up for various situations. For instance, it may be used for summer camps, hosting swim clubs, and may even be opened to the public if needed.

It also has a much larger pool deck than the previous pool, which will allow even more room for events. Bowen importantly mentioned that the new pool “will enable multiple aquatics teams to practice at the same time and even compete at the same time.” Because of this, practice after school will be much more effective and efficient for all students.

The new Aquatics Center will impact the aquatics program and various sports more profoundly so than the Servite Community. Practices can be more focused and refined. Coach Andy Coffman cannot wait for the new pool. He explained. “The new aquatics center’s size will provide the space for a multitude of new training options as well as the capacity to have more than just one practice at a time.”

The Fitzpatrick Aquatics Center will enhance the capability of the current swim and water polo teams. It will be an opportunity for the community to unite under a meaningful cause. On behalf of the new pool, nothing but success will come for Servite.