Address to the Freshmen

Joseph Sturtz, Editor-in-Chief

The first time I took my first steps onto the Servite campus, I was not yet a student. Many of us have been through shadow day, but only some of us came away with something important enough to remember. At the beginning of that first day, the student I shadowed told me something I at first paid no mind to- “Time at Servite goes by fast, so you have to make the most out of it.”

In fact, this was not the first time I had heard these words, nor was it the last. Every time somebody said this I thought, “Every day feels like an eternity,”  and “I wish I was a senior already.”

Despite these thoughts, the days continued to pass, and within these days there were tests, unending homework assignments, demanding teachers, and all of the things I had set my focus on; all of the negative things that I had set my focus on. Also within these days there were the friendships I had made, teachers I enjoyed learning from, skills and knowledge I had gained, and everything else Servite had to offer that I blindly chose to ignore.

These were the days that continued to tick on, and suddenly, seemingly as quickly as it began, I became a senior. Where had the time gone between those first steps on campus to the graduation photos? In seemingly an instant, three years have passed, and already I regret squandering them.

Servite has so much to offer, but only if you take the chance to grasp at those chances, do not let them go by and later think, “maybe that would have been interesting.” If after three and a half years I have gained any piece of wisdom to pass on to the years below, it is, “Time at Servite goes by fast, so you have to make the most out of it.”