The Great Drought

Chase Bowen, Staff Writer

It seems hard to believe that the Golden state of California could have any problems at all. Although this beautiful land on the coast does have a few issues, it seems strange that lack of water would be one of the biggest. All we have to do is collect the water from the plentiful Pacific ocean and all our problems are solved, right? As it turns out, finding a solution to California’s drought may be more difficult than it appears.

In January of 2014 the governor of California, Jerry Brown, declared a drought state of emergency. Since this was declared three years ago, over 24 million people have been affected. This long lasting shortage of water has done some terrible damage to many areas around the state. In response, the governor has since put new mandatory regulations on the use of water throughout cities.

These regulations impact all of California’s residents, but some feel that they are probably the state’s best option to getting back on track. Noah Bukaty ‘17 spoke about his thoughts on such regulations.“I think if these regulations are enforced correctly and done without interfering with our everyday lives, they can positively benefit us at the end of the day.”

When it comes to the topic of our recent drought, there hasn’t been much talk around the subject, at least in recent months. This could be for a number of reason: information not getting shared, or simply that news networks not covering the drought in an in-depth manner. This could also be in response to colder temperatures this winter that have allowed snow to fall, ensuring snow melt water will be available. Furthermore, n the past two months California has received more rainfall than the last two years combined.

Bukaty, although thankful for the rain, is still unsure about the future.“With all the rain recently, I imagine it’s been helping a lot with the drought,” he says. “I can’t help but wonder when this whole thing will go away.”

With the early months of 2016 being recorded as the third-warmest California has ever seen, we can only hope that these new methods of water conservation put into place, coupled with the improving weather conditions of the past winter, will allow us to rise above this drought and get back on track and look ahead to a brighter, greener future.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Great Drought”

1. Travis Tuttle on March 3rd, 2017 10:15 pm

Fantastic well written article. Very informative.
    Thanks,
    Travis Tuttle
    http://birdeyenews.forrestbirdcharterschool.org/

[Reply]

• The Great Drought

Servite News

Their Story: A Look at the New Faces of the History Department

• The Great Drought

Servite News

Who is Patrick Aimone?

• The Great Drought

Student Life

A Culture of Words

• The Great Drought

Servite News

Priory: What’s New

• The Great Drought

Servite News

The Subject Without Limits

• The Great Drought

U.S. and World News

Vincent Bevins: A Renaissance Writer

• The Great Drought

Servite News

Freshman Formation 2017

• The Great Drought

Opinions

Summer Is Overrated – Here’s Why:

• The Great Drought

Culture

Taylor Swift Rules Over The Summer Music Industry

• The Great Drought

Servite News

Bruno Serato: A Man of Faith and Courage

The Great Drought