LA Auto Show

Andrew Glaudini, Staff Writer

The auto industry is on a roll, and if you attended the Los Angeles Auto Show this year, you would know why. This year, automakers and aftermarket parts makers from around the world displayed their cars, each innovative in its own way. Ranging from custom showcars to concept cars, the Los Angeles Auto Show had it all.

The show itself was broken into four parts: there was the Garage, a display section between the Garage and the main rooms, the Galpin Hall of Customs, and then the two main rooms. Each part had its own theme, and it was pretty easy to distinguish each from the other.

The Garage is the second largest room that is affiliated with the Los Angeles Auto Show, as well as the only one that was dominated by no automakers. Companies that manufacture custom rims displayed their products, and different companies that offer custom kits for cars showed off their one-of-a-kind machines. Cars there ranged from jacked-up custom trucks to slammed-to-the-ground supercars. Also shown there were work vans with luxury interiors as well as ATVs and other vehicles along those lines. Also in the Garage, vendors were selling die-cast cars, hats, license-plate frames, and more nifty items.

Next, there was the Galpin Hall of Customs. Run by the Galpin community, everything in the Hall of Customs was either owned, customized, or for sale by said community. Ranging from T.V. cars like the Pink Panther-mobile to expensive rarities like the Spyker C8 Preliator, the Hall of Customs was full of unique cars. The Hall showcased dreams, ideas, and the resulting products of both.

Between the Garage and the main rooms lied a display section that showcased different cars that had nothing in common with each other. Polaris showcased some of their three-wheeled Slingshots, and a new upstart brand simply named “3D Printed” displayed their car that consisted of all 3D printed parts. Porsche also had one of their 919 LeMans prototypes there; this one in particular was half from the factory and half made of Legos. Nissan had two Star Wars-themed Nissan Rogues; one was X-Wing themed, and the other was Rebel themed, in order to get everyone hyped for the new Rogue One movie coming out in December.

Finally, there were the two main rooms, which consisted of main brands like BMW, Toyota, Ford, and many, many more. Many world debuts were shown there, including Mercedes-AMG’s E63 Edition 1 performance sedan, Alfa Romeo’s Stelvio SUV, and Ford’s Ecoboost compact SUV. Each car shown there was innovative in its own way, whether it was a concept car displaying future technologies or a production sedan representing everyday travel. With cars like the flamboyant and luxury Mercedes-Maybach S650 Cabriolet representing the wealthy side of the spectrum and cars like the facelifted Toyota Corolla representing the average side of the spectrum, one could have spent a total of two hours in just those two rooms, looking at what automakers had to offer.

However, despite all of the cool new stuff being displayed at the show, sometimes it is hard to top previous shows. Mark Glaudini ‘83, said, “it was smaller and there were only a few concept cars that I liked. The garage was cool but again, there wasn’t anything that I hadn’t seen before. There were a few cars that had impressive paint jobs and many cars that were just wrapped, which to me, is the easy way out.” However, he liked the Cadillac Escala concept and the Acura Precision concept because of their “clean flowing lines” and “the lack of the B-pillar” on both cars.

The Los Angeles Auto Show was, to summarize, very impressive this year. With new technologies being invented yearly and automakers rolling out new (and more innovative) cars, who knows what next year’s show will have to offer?