New Teachers Say “Hola” and “Bonjour” to Servite

Joseph Beaird, Staff Writer

This year at Servite, we are lucky to have two new teachers join the Romance Language department. The Spokesman caught up with Señor Northgrave and Madame Crawford-Dixon to learn more.

The Spokesman: How did you first learn your languages?
Northgrave: A lot of practice! I studied for an hour a day two years straight. Then I went out and spoke to people. I learned the fastest when I only spoke Spanish. I made a lot of mistakes but people helped me to speak better.

Crawford-Dixon: I studied French since middle school, majored in it in college and attained my Masters degree in French Studies from the Pennsylvania State University. I learned Spanish by living in Santiago, Chile.

The Spokesman: When and why did you decide that you wanted to teach?

Northgrave: The only Spanish major that my University offered was Spanish Education. I was forced into the teaching part. Once I started to take the education classes though, I knew that I wanted to be a teacher. I suddenly had an ambition to help students that feel the way I felt in high school (no desire, don’t understand the importance of knowledge, etc.). I knew that I had a duty to help students develop a love for learning.

Crawford-Dixon:  I decided to teach when I was a teaching assistant at Penn State.  I just loved teaching the undergraduate students there.

The Spokesman: What about Servite interested you to come here?

Northgrave: I wanted to be in a place where I could let students know where true knowledge comes from – Christ.

Crawford-Dixon: I love the mission, the focus on building relationships, the academics, and the fact that it is a single-gender high school aligned with the UC system.

The Spokesman: How long have you been teaching?

Northgrave: 4 years

Crawford-Dixon: 27 years!

The Spokesman: Where are you from?

Northgrave: I was born in Canada but I have lived in Tennessee most of my life. I am still a Canadian citizen though. (Don’t hold it against me!!)

Crawford-Dixon: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

The Spokesman: What is your favorite thing about speaking Spanish/French?

Northgrave: I love it when a native speaker gives me a double take. They are thinking, ” Why does this gringito speak Spanish?” I also love helping random people. If I see someone that does not speak English and is in need I will always use my Spanish to help them out.

Crawford-Dixon: I love speaking both languages.  I love teaching students about languages and the cultures of the people who speak them.

The Spokesman: What are some fun facts about yourself?

Northgrave: I have a green card. I have played hockey since I was three. I love to skateboard.

Crawford Dixon: I love to travel to French and Spanish-speaking countries.  In my free time, I enjoy reading and cooking French and Chilean food.  I love to eat out at restaurants on the weekend.  In-n-out is my favorite fast food restaurant.  I love classic and alternative rock music (U2 is my favorite group).

The Spokesman: Thank you both for your time! We’re glad you’re here. Adios and au revoir!