Track and Field: It’s Not Your Average Sport

Photo courtesy of Mr. M

Photo courtesy of Mr. M

Photo courtesy of Mr. M

Brandon Tejeras, Outreach Editor

The bus rattled and screeched as it ran over and into potholes and breaks on the crowded highway. Runners, throwers, pole vaulters, and hurdlers alike all crammed and scrunched into narrow leathery seats, quietly gazing out the windows with music blaring into ear canals.

This was the Los Alamitos track meet. There was barely any wiggle room to stretch or get comfortable on that bus, but more than enough time would be available when we actually got there. The bus finally rolled to a stop in a crowded parking lot, wedged in between sedans and SUVs. Hot waves of heat beat down on our cheeks as we climbed and inched our way off the narrow bus steps. A lot was going through all of our minds in those beginning moments of the meet: “What’s my strategy for the mile?”, “I need to practice my hand-off for the 4×100”, and “These hurdles are gonna be tough. I’ll need to really focus on clearing those hurdles.”

These may only be a few of many thoughts racing through our heads, but they put on display the fiery determination and indomitable will to succeed. No matter how tough the teams we face or the challenges to success that arrive unexpectedly, the Servite Track and Field team will always show up and deliver 110% effort.

For the most of our track team, this season is the last of many fruitful seasons. One of these is Vince Sarino, varsity mile and 800-meter runner. His most memorable moment of the season was “ the Servite Invitational because it gave everyone the first taste of real competition. Not only this, but also spending time with my teammates and the parents.” This seems to be the same across the board, the brotherhood present among and between this subset of the Servite family empowers these young men to push beyond preconceived limits and move into something greater.

Why is there such a bond between these runners, hurdlers and the like? What makes Servite’s track team so different among others in the SoCal region? The answer to that question is what the older competitors hand down to the next generation of Track and Field students and how students continue to learn from athletes past. Christian Ojeda, a senior hurdler, wants future friars to “consistently work hard even when no one is watching. Even if you aren’t the best runner, success will come with hard work.” That hasn’t rung truer than it has today. Ojeda came onto the track and field with raw talent not fully tapped, but following his very own advice, he rose to the ranks of varsity, becoming one of the most formidable hurdlers in Servite history.

While prophetic advice like Ojeda’s serves our athletes well, Micah Navarro, a junior mile and half mile runner, advises future Friars to just “have fun, and whatever you put into it will come back to you.” These words of wisdom continue to inspire young student-athletes across the sports spectrum, but for Track and Field runners, these are golden rules that push us to become better than we ever expected.