Tennis ballin’

Eamon Morris, Technical Editor

It’s hard to describe the Servite Tennis team with a single word. They’re a quirky group of talented individuals with a passion for their sport. Senior Varsity player Siddharth Lodhia even said that “the team is one of the quirkiest weird teams I’ve ever been on, from the coaches to the players.” The team is extremely close to one another, having traveled around California to Tennis matches. They’ve built up memories and formed deep relationships. The seniors on the team can fondly remember a trip the took to the Indian Wells Masters tournament during their Sophomore year.

When they aren’t growing closer together, the team is working to improve their tennis talents. Their work proves to be highly rewarding. While talking about a victory against a fellow teammate, Servite Senior and Tennis Captain Trenton Larson said “It made me feel good knowing that all my hard work had paid off,” said Larson.

Hard perfectly describes a typical tennis practice. For Senior Varsity player Wyatt Bui, “the skill level and time spent practicing required to compete against top teams” makes the sport very difficult to master. Mason Mahony, a Servite Freshman on Varsity, claimed that the mental part of Tennis was the hardest for him. Larson  elaborated on this, and said that it was difficult “…trying to not get inside your own head during match play.”

Lodhia agreed on on Larson’s appraisal of the difficulty on Tennis. “It’s a sport that requires an exorbitant amount of time to develop the proper technique-which puts you at a huge disadvantage when you’ve only been playing for a couple years.”

Despite the difficulty of the sport, the Servite team makes it look easy. They’re stacked with talented players and coaches. Their head coach, J.P. Jugo, graduated from Servite in 2oo5, which allows him to bond with the players in a unique way, especially since he played tennis at Servite when he attended the school. Jugo has been coaching since 2012, and holds a degree in Psychology from UC Riverside to match his athletic prowess.

While the sport is difficult, and while the practices are tough, this so-called “quirkiest team” manages to work as a cohesive unit that is sure to be recognized for years to come.