Rough and Rowdy: Rugby at Servite

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rough and Rowdy: Rugby at Servite

Joseph Beaird, Communications Editor

Servite’s Rugby team this year has been impressive – not only because it is one of the few Trinity League schools to have a Rugby program, but also because of the five consecutive wins to start off the season. After its beginnings two years ago, the team finished with a winning record of 5-2.

Each player put in an effort to create the team’s success. Isaiah Leuta scored over six tries throughout the season and four other students scored over three. Rugby is a sport that anyone can excel and have fun in, and it seems that our rugby program is going to continue improving.

One of the reasons that Rugby is not popular in the United States is due to concerns about player safety. David Hernandez ‘18 dispels these worries. “Many parents are concerned about child safety but don’t realize there are so many rules protecting the runner that allows the game to run smoothly and be played to the best of its ability.” Although many actions on the field may look like a crazy dogpile, the sport is much safer than it seems.

There are also many benefits to playing rugby as well. Many of the skills learned from rugby are easily applicable to other sports. Besides the obvious comparisons to football and soccer, the sport can help athletes in wrestling and other sports requiring endurance and strength. Football players are often encouraged to give rugby a try because of the agility and speed it demands.

Besides the practical applications, the personal motivations for playing the sport are desirable for any athlete regardless of sport. Because of the uniqueness of the sport, the people who play it enjoy it infinitely more. Anthony Gonzalez ‘18 appreciates the distinctive nature of the sport. “It’s not like any other sport and it is amazing to play and watch.”