Servite All Blacks

Joseph Sturtz, Editor-in-Chief

Servite High School has been introducing many new clubs into its already impressive selection this year, and one of the many is the wonderful game of rugby. Rugby is boasted as a sport that many of our students might like to join because of its similarities to American football, but the sport certainly has its own personality, and we encourage students to take a look at the all-new Servite All Blacks rugby team as they venture into an unfamiliar yet exciting new world.

As is tradition for The Spokesman, we interviewed the head of this new club, Coach MosQueda about creating another athletic program as well as asking some questions about himself. He was very enthusiastic to give us more insight into the sport and tell us what it can do to help bolster the abilities of football and rugby players alike.

We asked Coach Mosq about what he was most enthusiastic for when approaching the season for Servite’s newly-inducted athletic program, and he said, “I am most enthusiastic about assisting to bring one of the fastest growing sports in the United States – rugby, to one of the top high schools in the nation….I am hoping to create even more excitement and a curiosity to play rugby for other Servite student athletes.”

Although the rugby team is new, it has been in the works for over three years. MosQueda says he came to the decision through prayer: “I walked on to Courage Field for a football camp with my son Jagger.  At that time I said a prayer. “Lord I would love the opportunity to coach football at this great school.” There is another individual that I truly would like to thank, Coach Dane Jako for bringing me on to his football coaching staff. But even prior to becoming a football coach for Servite a little over a year ago,  I got on a knee and said another prayer: ‘Lord I pray for the wisdom and your direction on starting a rugby program at Servite HS.’”  

MosQueda reached out and pitched his idea at the time. He received initial interest, but, according to MosQueda, “no one thought it would happen.” Then, Gavid Beaudry, the head of operations for Southern California Youth Rugby, heard of the idea for a team and wanted to lend his support. MosQueda recalled, “10 months later, right before football practice, Coach Jako told me that Coach Scott Meyer wanted to talk with me about starting a rugby club at Servite. With the strong support and help of Coach Scott Meyer and Jim Welch, VP of Finance, (to whom I am forever grateful); we were able to get the SERVITE ALL BLACKS RUGBY off the ground and running.”

MosQueda is no stranger to coaching rugby; he has many years of experience with both youth football and youth rugby programs and has enjoyed success in these endeavors. However, he acknowledges that he cannot take full responsibility for the new program. “I am a true believer that you are only as good as what you surround yourself with: coaches, players, and staff,” MosQueda stated. “The coaching staff began with two phenomenal rugby coaches: Coach Shawn Kilifi and Coach Ramsey Tuaua, as well as myself.Together our coaching staff brings their vast knowledge, passion and love for the sport of rugby to Servite. The coaching staff will strive to form faith-filled leaders by developing the athlete’s intellect and will through the rugby experience.”

One noteworthy aspect of rugby is its emphasis on fundamental physical acts, such as solid tackling technique, and, as a result, its lack of extensive protective wear for players. According to Coach MosQueda, “The form of a football tackle is more like a collision. The main purposes of tackling are to dispossess an opponent of the ball, to stop the player from gaining ground towards a goal, and to stop them from carrying out what they intend.”

However, the rugby tackle, according to MosQueda, is “a true commitment to contact in your tackle. It is the act of physically holding or wrestling a player to the ground.” The Spokesman learned that the rugby tackle can also describe different ways of contesting for possession of the ball, meaning the rugby tackle can be used both defensively and offensively. MosQueda describes the different technique as “a true explosion through the commitment of contact and going through the tackle”, adding that, “a good football player may not make a good rugby player; but a good rugby player will always make a great football player.” With this new supplementary sport in its arsenal, Servite hopes to improve the quality of its football tackling.

We thank Coach MosQueda for his passion for both the sport and Servite, and welcome him to the Servite family. We also ask that you show support for both the varsity and junior varsity rugby teams as they play at John Marshall Park and away at some of our favorite rival high schools. These include: JSerra, Fountain Valley, and Orange Lutheran. Rugby plays few games in their season but it is such a unique experience that you won’t want to miss out on. Get the Asylum out there and support your brothers as they play in Servite’s inaugural year of rugby!