Winter Sports Preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Sports Preview

The Asylum cheers on the Friars against Canyon

Picasa

Picasa

Picasa

Joseph Sturtz, Editor-in-Chief

Once again with the change in seasons, the new athletic year follows suit- this time with the induction of basketball, soccer, and wrestling.  Because of the nature of high school sports, it is interesting to watch each team evolve with the coming and going of certain athletes, and watching certain students grow yearly. We at The Spokesman have interviewed the coaches of all three sports to see what they have to say about the upcoming season.

We started by asking the head of the basketball team, Coach Morris, some questions.

Q: What are you looking forward to the most in this upcoming season?

A: I am looking forward to our Senior leadership.  Our Seniors have done a tremendous job investing themselves into the program.  This will be my first group of Seniors I will have had in the program for four years since becoming the head coach.

Q: Do you feel the team has improved since the last year?

A: Our team has become a more skilled and talented team.  They have worked hard in the gym and in the weight room since the end of last season.  We are a bigger and more physical team as well.  I also expect us to make significant improvements on the defensive side of the ball.

Q: Is there anything you would like to change from last year?

A: Our goal every year is to win a CIF Championship.  We fell short last year and everyone who was a part of the team last year has not forgotten what that felt like.

Q: What are some the greatest strengths of the team this season?

A: Our greatest strength is our physical style of play on both ends of the court and our team chemistry.  This is probably the most close-knit team I have had in my time here and that bond will allow us to push one another even harder this year.

Q: What kind of training do the players go through to prepare every year?

A: The gym opens at 6 AM every morning in the offseason.  We also work skill development every day in the offseason and are in the weight room 3-4 times each week.

In addition to the comments already made, Coach Morris also has this to say about this year: “This team is very excited to represent everyone at Servite this year.  Our team motto is “Play with a chip” and we plan to do that every night we step on the court.  These young men will make The Asylum proud and we can’t wait to begin to play in front of you guys.” The prevailing theme here is that this is not last year’s basketball team, and it should be intriguing to see how this team improves and how they will look while “playing with a chip”.

We then moved to Coach Clinton, who led last year’s wrestling team to the CIF title.

A: The opportunity to work with a great group of young men who always push it to the limit.

Q: How do you plan to repeat the success of the team from last season?

A: That will all depend on the men of wrestling, they set their goals with a plan attached they will succeed if not it just becomes a wish.

A: No, we set a plan in motion, work to get a little better ever day and the results take care of themselves.

A: We have 7 returning from last years team of Champions which is huge and a great group of young wrestlers ready to fill in the open spots.

Coach Clinton seems to be excited to start another year of wrestling with the returning students and some new faces, so it seems that wrestling will be another thrilling sport to watch out for this year.

Finally, we get to the team who defied expectations and went above and beyond winning the CIF title for soccer. Headed by Coach Spencer, we hope to see more of the enthralling work and accomplishments of our soccer team.

A: I am looking forward to the challenge ahead. To repeat the season we just had is hard to do, especially because it was our first CIF Championship. We are excited about the challenge because it is what will help form our team and it will give us the opportunity to find a way to overcome those challenges as a team. We have a very strong senior class and a program that wants to repeat our success. We are working hard to prepare. I know this group is ready for the challenge.

A:  It starts with having a team oriented mentality. Last year’s team was successful because the guys played for each other. That is what our program is about. This year will be very difficult especially because we are the defending champions. These guys believe in the system and have worked hard. We are planning to play an aggressive style of soccer, be really compact in our defense, and work for each other on offense. We know every game we play is our opponent’s biggest game of the season. If we stay humble and work hard we have what it takes to defend our title.

A: I would always like to win more games, score more goals and allow fewer goals. What we really want to do is see a group of guys who continue to be an example both on and off the field of young men who are Faith Filled Leaders. We graduated a great group and this group will be great as well. They will need each other to reach their goals.

A: This team is loaded again with a ton of seniors. We have 12 seniors on the team and all of them will contribute to our team’s success. This team is deep in terms of having a lot of strong young players who can contribute to the team’s success. We now know what it takes to win CIF. This will be a very difficult year but we have a team that knows what it feels like and is hungry to win it again.

A:  We have been training 4 days a week through the fall and lifting 2-3 days a week. The players also train and compete on their clubs teams. Many of them have had a really good fall season. I hope this will translate to a strong winter High School Season. We play many of the top teams in California on our schedule and will need to be sharp from day 1.

Friars, make sure to come out to support our teams by filling the Asylum and getting loud! This is another exciting year of sports with plenty of skill and potential, and you won’t want to miss out on any of it. Bring the energy and watch each individual work together with others to fulfill the dream of winning a CIF championship and making it to the top while playing side by side with their brothers.