Summer Is Overrated – Here’s Why:

Eamon Morris, Editor

Let’s make something clear. I don’t hate summer. I’m not going to sit here and espouse year-round schooling and lecture about the benefits of short breaks. I’m a high school student, not an educational reformer. But I do think summer is overrated. The weather is great. The naps are awesome. The binge-watching and bag-of-fritos couch time is absolutely divine. But in general, summer just isn’t as great as we make it out to be.

For the majority of the school year, we doze off in class and dream about summer. We fantasize about parties with friends and beach days and trendy photo-shoots in LA and getting that perfect summer job. But when summer rolls around, barely any of these fantasies come to fruition. Maybe it’s Hollywood that tricks us into thinking summer is this heavenly respite from all of our problems. One only has to go to the movie theater to spot the current clichéd teen movie- you know- the one where that girl falls in love with that guy at the boardwalk, or the one where that guy hosts the best party of the summer with his friends.

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m the only one who didn’t go to the beach once this summer, who didn’t have a summer fling, who didn’t go to a wild party. But something tells me I’m not alone- that I’m not the only one whose summer was just okay. I liked my summer. It just wasn’t what I expected it to be. It seems like it never is. Every year, I fall into the same trap. Finals roll around at the end of second semester and I psych myself up for a summer of parties and beach days. I expect summer to be infinitely better than the school year, to be drastically more exciting, to be the summer.

I think the problem lies in boredom. For most of us, the school year is so tedious that we expect literally anything to be more entertaining. The problem lies in that summer isn’t a roller coaster. It’s a train on the exact same tracks as the school year, just with slightly different scenery. Summer is just life- there’s nothing more exciting about a day in the middle of July than there is about a day in the middle of January.

The solution to accepting the overrated-ness of summer lies in adjusting ourselves to adult life. In ten years, we won’t have summer breaks. Our lives will be punctuated by weekends and vacation days rather than months of free time. Maybe we need to start living with that mindset now. Perhaps the secret to not being crushed by the average-ness of summer is to live like adults year round. Perhaps the secret is always having something to do- having a job to go to, a book to read, or a project to work on.

Getting off of the couch is probably the hardest aspect of summer. There’s nothing more  satisfying than collapsing onto a pile of pillows after a long day of Netflix. But if we don’t find something to do, we get trapped in this seasonal cycle, forced to relive the same boring days over and over again without any sort of fulfillment. So if summer is going to stop being so unfulfilling, we need to learn to stop being unrealistic and start taking action.  

I can’t tell you what you’re supposed to do with your summer. I’m still figuring that out myself. But I can encourage you to try to find something truly interesting to do. Try new things. Improve upon old hobbies. Break out of your comfort zone. Go skydiving. Try knitting. And if none of these things work out, take it in stride. Summer isn’t going to last your whole life. Try to accept that real life- adult life that is- doesn’t allot time for three months of nothing. So instead of doing nothing with summer, do something- to make it less overrated.