It’s not just you; Senioritis is happening to all of us

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brandon Tejeras, Outreach Editor

Yes, senioritis is a real condition, not just a tale told by outgoing high school students. And yes, it can be a huge issue in every possible way. It is often characterized by a nose-dive in your attendance record and overall motivation. According to Urban Dictionary, a source that comes highly recommended, senioritis is characterized by a dismissive attitude towards the idea of schoolwork and the “excessive wearing of track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants, athletic shorts, and sweatshirts.” I’m not sure of the validity of that last part, but if it’s true, then I’ve had senioritis for the past two years.

As someone who is struggling to remedy senioritis, I warn you that it is not worth the joy of doing nothing all weekend to then cram Sunday night to do your calc homework while simultaneously listening to Bob Ross to quell your nervous breakdown. If you thought that that was surprisingly specific, you’d be correct. That was me last weekend.

Ask any of the current or former Servite seniors. They all, at one time or another, experienced this dreaded disease. To make it all worse for those students who are reading this and wondering if this will be you soon, senioritis hits students right about now, or at the very latest right after semester finals going into Christmas break.

In the spirit of finding the most realistic depiction of senioritis, I interviewed two of our very own seniors, Pierce Denning ‘18 and Patrick Kaiser ‘18. There was a consensus among both of them that they strongly dislike senioritis. Pierce had an interesting reason for why he thinks that he, and other seniors, get senioritis. “Seniors are able to drive and have more of a social life. We value socializing above schoolwork.” Considering that having cars is a trend among seniors and even juniors, this reason seems very probable. I know this is the case for me because I have a car, and all I ever want to do is hang out with friends. Driving makes it so much easier to go out and forget about whatever responsibilities you may have. Patrick Kaiser had a more simplistic cause for his senioritis and its resulting effects on his grades. He said, when talking about his homework, “I just don’t feel like it. I don’t want to study and so I don’t do it.” While that is terrible, I have to admire him for the frankness of his reasons.

If the usual symptoms, personal horror stories, and warnings galore didn’t scare the Holy Ghost back into you, then it would only be fitting for me to express just how widespread the effects of senioritis really are.

Colleges know when a kid comes down with senioritis. These admissions officers are drawn to senioritis as sharks are to blood in the waves. They can tell that you chose that new season of Stranger Things or binge-watching Riverdale over studying for your upcoming exams. Even if you stave off senioritis for the fall semester of your senior year, colleges can see your spring semester grades. A tail-spin of a second semester is evident in your grades. Not as slick as you thought you were, huh?

In fact, College Admissions officers may rescind your acceptance if your Senioritis gets too bad. Yes, that’s right. The incurable disease means nothing to the employee of a university holding your future in the palm of their hand. Now, don’t get me wrong, there is hope for us seniors yet. Colleges aren’t always bloodthirsty sharks that will tear you to pieces if you get a C- in Theology at the end of May. Much like us, they too had senioritis and will happily accommodate you.

If colleges decided to spare you and still allow you to attend the following year, something else has usually to give, and that is usually financial aid packages. If you slip up in the tail end of your senior year, colleges will choke the living daylights out of your checkbook with the cost of attendance. Both I and the college campuses understand your predicament, but they aren’t as nice and accepting of it as I am.

I’m hoping that by scaring you into protecting yourself from this disease that you will actually work to prevent its spread. There are just two things you can do to help. One, set small goals for yourself. Often we can find ourselves totally overwhelmed by the whole senior year that we decide to just throw in the towel, wave the white flag, whatever metaphor you want to use for giving up. But, I implore you to do no such thing! That is a bad idea. Such small goals as getting a good grade on an upcoming test or setting aside some time here and there to study are examples of this tip in action. Another tip is to take a break every now and then. I know that,  from my own experience, I will often try to plow through my homework, college apps, studying and whatnot only to burn myself out. It is often more efficient to take a break, catch your breath and get back on the horse. Burning the candle at both ends is no way to get things done.