Who is Patrick Aimone?

Eamon Morris, Managing Editor

Everyone knows something about the resident genius of the senior class. Perhaps they’ve heard about his near-godlike GPA, or his flawless test scores. Maybe they’ve heard rumors that he was on Jeopardy, or that he has Kamala Harris’ phone number. But no matter what the students of Servite have heard about Patrick Aimone, no matter how many times his name has been uttered around the lunch tables, few can profess to actually know more than a few things about Patrick. So I decided to find out some more.

I spotted Patrick within ten seconds of entering the library. He was sitting alone, typing an email on his phone, not wasting a single second. As we entered a study cubicle, he almost seemed nervous for the interview- something I’ll readily admit gave me great satisfaction. But within a few minutes, any aura of anxiety disappeared. I had to admit that Patrick had a talent for speaking. There were no filler words. Everything he said imparted a sense of importance, which I found ironic given that we were both wearing shorts and polo shirts while sitting in a high school library.

I considered that perhaps Patrick never said “um” or “like” because he had no time for useless words. There are ten slots for activities on The Common Application, and Patrick has all ten filled. In fact, he has more that he wishes he could include. “If I could add one more activity to my common application, it would be Key Club,” said Patrick, “I’ve been the Secretary for three years.” With all of his activities, Patrick rarely has time for himself. When I asked him when the last time he had free times was, Patrick replied with “I don’t know if I can think back that far, probably two weekends before school started.”

Of course, the most notable extracurricular that Patrick is involved in is the Junior State of America, or JSA. Patrick is the governor of the Southern California region, one of the largest branches of JSA in the nation. Given that Patrick has such a passion for politics, I was almost obliged to ask him what he would do as president. “Obviously that’s a long way away if it did happen. If I were president today, the first thing I would probably sign is something protecting transgender students from discrimination by public school districts. That’s an issue that has gone unaddressed by this administration for sure.”

I wasn’t surprised by Patrick’s response. Since I’ve known him, he’s always been an outspoken advocate for minorities in our Theology and History classes. However, I was surprised by how strong his Catholicism was. “I always toyed with fantasies of being a Jesuit or being a priest. I would love to do nonprofit work, whether that’s with the church or with some other nonprofit group.” However, It’s difficult to imagine Patrick in anything other than a suit, and the robes of a Jesuit are no exception to that rule.

For days before the interview with Patrick, one question kept floating around my mind. Why Servite? Why did Patrick choose a smaller all boys private school in Anaheim over a fancy preparatory academy? Apparently, the answer lies in a characteristic inherent to Servite. Patrick looked at sixteen different high schools when he was in eighth grade. He found that for most of them, extracurriculars followed a single track. You could only afford to choose one or two to really focus on. According to Patrick, “Servite gives you the opportunity to pick and choose.”

I was curious as to what Patrick thought could be better at Servite- what Servite wasn’t great with. I expected a surface-level answer, but I should have known better. Patrick took some time to think before responding “…It would be the way it is advertised to students and the way the curriculum is structured, and they sort of go hand in hand. Ideally, it would be centered around intellectual curiosity and students developing their academic interests early in high school.” What he said struck me. Most seniors complain about hard classes or teachers. But Patrick went straight to the top with his suggestion.

We were around twenty minutes into the interview at this point, so I wanted to take a look at Patrick’s past. Like a kid in Disneyland, I went straight for the metaphorical churros when I asked him to tell me about his brief stint on Jeopardy. “I was in 7th grade when I took [the online test to be a contestant],” said Patrick. Patrick went pretty far the night of the competition. But he still lost. The question was “…This author wrote Call of the Wild,” remarked Patrick. “ I was thinking Jack Frost and I couldn’t come up with Jack London. I kept my mouth closed.”

There was a time when I used to be terrified of Patrick, of his intellect, his passion, and his capability for success. He seemed so flawless on the surface, a paragon of academic achievement. But as I’ve gotten to know Patrick, I’ve realized he’s no demigod. He’s a teenager, one with the same issues and quirks and pet peeves as the rest of us. He may be the smartest person I know, but he’s still a person. Before I ended our interview, I asked Patrick what he wanted to be when he grew up. Patrick wanted to be a paleontologist. He told me his favorite dinosaur was the Archaeopteryx. And like a human, he spelled it wrong.

• Favorite Book? The Illustrated Man, Ray Bradbury
  • Favorite Book before that? Harriet the Spy, Louise Fitzhugh
  • Favorite Song? How Great, Chance the Rapper
  • Favorite Movie? The Princess Bride, The Sting
  • Go-to-caffeine? Caramel Iced Coffee- The most caffeine for your dollar
  • Longest Snapchat Streak? 311 days with my campaign manager.
  • Favorite Food? Sushi or Cane’s chicken tenders. They’re both good in their own way.
  • Hogwarts House? Ravenclaw
  • Go-To Playlist? My dad instructed me that the proper way to listen to music is to listen to full albums in order. So the go-to albums are Remember us to Life by Regina Spektor and Yeezus by Kanye West