College Admissions Craze

Aspirations+of+attending+elite+universities+are+creating+a+high-stakes+environment+for+today%27s+students.+
Aspirations of attending elite universities are creating a high-stakes environment for today's students.

stocksnap.io

stocksnap.io

Deac Douty, Staff Writer

This story was originally composed in May 2017 as the writer’s final project of the academic year. 

March,​​ ​​the​​ ​​month​​ ​​where​​ ​​you​​ ​​start​​ ​​to​​ ​​see​​ ​​the​​ ​​beginning​​ ​​of​​ ​​the​​ ​​path.  

The​​ ​​path​​ ​​is​​ ​​long;​​ ​​it’s​​ ​​windy;​​ ​​it​​ ​​has​​ ​​so​​ ​​many​​ ​​possible​​ ​​endings.  

The​​ ​​feeling​​ ​​is​​ ​​nothing​​ ​​similar​​ ​​to​​ ​​anything​​ ​​you​​ ​​felt​​ ​​before.​​ ​​Looking​​ ​​at​​ ​​the​​ ​​letter that​​ ​​will​​ ​​tell​​ ​​you where​​ ​​the​​ ​​next​​ ​​step​​ ​​of​​ ​​your​​ ​​life​​ ​​will​​ ​​take​​ ​​place​​ ​​is​​ ​​nothing​​ ​​but​​ ​​exhilarating.​​ ​​​​ ​​Your​​ ​​future​​ ​​starting to​​ ​​become​​ ​​present.

You’re​​ ​​eighteen​​ ​​and​​ ​​starting​​ ​​to​​ ​​figure​​ ​​out​​ ​​what​​ ​​type​​ ​​of​​ ​​person​​ ​​you​​ ​​are,​​ ​​what​​ ​​kind​​ ​​of​​ ​​profession you​​ ​​might​​ ​​seek​​ ​​out​​ ​​and​​ ​​where​​ ​​you​​ ​​will​​ ​​be​​ ​​spending​​ ​​the​​ ​​next​​ ​​four​​ ​​years​​ ​​of​​ ​​your​​ ​​life.​​ ​​The​​ ​​most exciting​​ ​​moment​​ ​​of​​ ​​your​​ ​​life​​ ​​is​​ ​​now.​​ ​​You​​ ​​open​​ ​​the​​ ​​letter​​ ​​from​​ ​​your​​ ​​top​​ ​​college.​​ ​​You​​ ​​weren’t accepted.​​ ​​You’re​​ ​​crushed.​​ ​​What​​ ​​could​​ ​​you​​ ​​have​​ ​​done​​ ​​differently?

This​ ​is​ ​the​ ​feeling​ ​that​ ​every​ ​student​ ​doesn’t​ ​want​ ​to feel ​- and​ ​the​ ​reason​ ​parents​ ​are​ ​practically part-time​ ​students​ ​at​ ​their​ ​child’s​ ​high​ ​school.  

College​ ​admissions​ ​has​ ​the​ ​present​ ​high​ ​school​ ​community​ ​going​ ​insane.​ ​The​ ​competitive​ ​level for​ ​college​ ​acceptances​ ​amongst​ ​high​ ​schoolers​ ​is​ ​at​ ​an​ ​all​ ​time​ ​high​ ​and​ ​gives no indication ​of​ ​going down.​ ​

​Students​ ​not​ ​only​ ​have​ ​to​ ​to​ ​get​ ​close​ ​to​ ​perfect​ ​grades​ ​while​ ​taking​ ​hard​ ​classes​; they​ ​also​ ​need​ ​an​ ​immense​ ​amount​ ​of​ ​extracurricular​ ​activities​ ​if​ ​they​ ​even​ ​want​ ​a​ ​chance​ ​of getting​ ​into​ ​the​ ​top​ ​universities.  

These incredibly high standards cause​ ​parents​ to pay ​ridiculous​ ​amounts​ ​of​ ​money​ ​on​ ​extra​ ​tutors, counselors,​ ​and​ ​even​ ​essay​ ​assistance.​ Through an informal survey, forty-two out of fifty seniors at Servite received some type of extra assistance that was paid for by their parents.

During our parents’ high school careers, it was rare to see any student with a  similar level of help. The difference in amount of time spent on college applications of today’s generation compared to the amount of time spent on our parents’ applications is dramatic. Students these days are applying to over twenty colleges while their parents possibly applied to five colleges.

Students’ experience with college applications and admissions comes nowhere close to the same experience their parents had. The grueling amounts of pressure and expectations that kids had forced upon them was not common during the same time their parents or even older siblings applied to college.

All day around any high school you constantly hear, “What colleges did you get into?” College admissions is the most popular subject around high schools without a doubt. According to my mother, “no one ever talked about college or applications; people only cared about what was currently happening or what everyone was doing on the upcoming weekend.” Have students lost sight of their present lives?

Colin Koerin ’17 was accepted by UCLA and will be attending in the fall. Koerin himself applied to twelve colleges, not deemed enough by many other students. Koerin said he spent about four hours on every application which would make a total of forty-eight hours spent on the application. In comparison, my mother stated that she only spent up to two hours on her application when she applied.

In addition, students’ parents didn’t have the counselors and extra tutors that kids have today. Special college application assistants are helping students write their essays and helping them inflate their college applications. My mother replied with a strong “no, my entire college process was solely put on my shoulders,” when asked if she received any help in the college process.

Does the assistance that students have in school these days help more than the lack of competition their parents had? Do necessary extracurriculars make it harder on the current generation? Who had it easier, the parents or the students?

The amount of support students receive today is absurd. College counselors, essay assisters and numerous tutors are just the standard extra support today’s generation has. “I had a ACT tutor/college counselor who greatly influenced how I created and shaped my applications,” said Koerin.

In regards to the amount of assistance students these days receive, the question of fairness with respect to the people who cannot afford these extra assisters arises. Koerin acknowledges this problem. “Unfortunately I do believe they are at a disadvantage. Not everyone has the financial means or family support it takes to create a well-rounded application,” he said. “There were multiple times my tutor had me make vital changes or edits to my application that I would never have seen without her.”

So how can we temper the insanity of the applications process? How can we ensure that it remains fair for applicants from ​different financial​ ​circumstances?​ These are questions to keep in mind before we succumb to the paranoia and fear associated with college admissions in the 21st century.