A Fellow Friar’s Inspiring Service

Kate Mullaney

Joseph Beaird, Editor-in-Chief

Every student at Servite is challenged to take some time to take the walk. Every person is encouraged, at some point, to reflect and pray in the Seven Holy Founders Chapel. However, something about the walk has changed; Dane Madrigal ‘17 has dedicated his Eagle Scout project to restoring the campus.

So what exactly has changed? Even as far away as the main office, the effects of Dane’s service can be seen immediately. Along the outside of the 100 building, there are the Stations of the Cross. Before, the quality was fading and the paint was chipping. He gave each station a new coat of paint; now the trials of Christ shine more powerfully.

Once inside the chapel, Servite students may notice a new addition. Thanks to Madrigal’s efforts, our Chapel has been blessed with a new prayer altar and new kneelers. The altar may be used for mass and adoration, but most of the time centerpieces the lobby of the chapel as a prayer altar to St. Peregrine. The kneelers are especially useful for students who attend adoration during lunch on mondays, or any person at Servite wanting to spend time with Jesus.

Most people have been aware of the changes to the campus and chapel, yet questions remain; how did this happen so fast? While the new additions seemed to appear overnight, it did not happen so quickly.

To plan out his Eagle Scout project, Madrigal devoted himself to working diligently over the course of countless long hours. “All of the preparation was done myself, and along with the two works day that took place here on campus, a total of 180 hours of work and preparation occurred,” Madrigal said. By considering the energy put towards everything on this campus, it allows the Servite community to fully appreciate those who make our campus what it is today.

Another difficult task tied to the planning of the project was the actual creation and building of the altar and kneelers. Madrigal’s persistence allowed him to complete the task to perfection. “The most difficult portion of the project was being as accurate as possible in all of the work inside the chapel. Symmetry was my main goal, and with constant measuring and continuous calculation, I was sure that the project would be as accurate as possible,” provided Madrigal.

As students of Servite, we are very fortunate to attend this school. The brotherhood built through relationships, strong academics, stellar sports and activities, and most importantly, our faith in God makes us unique from any other school. We blessed with the chapel where Christ is constantly waiting for us. Too often, students do not take the time to answer the call of Jesus.

As a result of his work, Madrigal hopes for these attitudes to change on campus. “For the students of Servite, I pray that each individual will take the time to stop once during the day with these reminders around them and say, ‘Thank you God,’” said Madrigal. He hopes his project to be a source of constant reflection towards Christ, and an opportunity for the entire Servite community to give glory to God.

Many people involved with assisted Madrigal with the project agree upon how pious his efforts were. David Beaird ‘17 was inspired by his leadership and thoughtfulness. “I was shocked to see all the support for Dane’s Eagle Scout project. It was amazing what everyone was able to accomplish under his leadership,” Beaird added.

Madrigal’s vision for the outcome of his work, demonstrates the needs of a faith-filled leader. “This project, from its conception, was for the school,” Madrigal said. “I had in mind only the future of the Servite campus, and more importantly, the spiritual life of the students.” We appreciate the noble achievements of Madrigal, and his selfless consideration for the Servite community. He truly embodies the definition and life of a Friar.