The Good, The Bad, The Finished

Find out how the yearbook and journalism staff manage to get everything done.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Good, The Bad, The Finished

Journalism/Yearbook Class is where writers and photographers turn memories into something tangible.

Pep rallies, football games, class projects, club activities, dances – all of these events, when combined, create the overall high school experience. Students don’t usually consider them much while dealing with the daily demands of homework, assignments, carpooling, service hours, practice, and exams. But each day of high school is filled with memory-building moments. It is the job of Servite’s Journalism and Yearbook Staff to capture, record, and transform these moments into the tangible forms of the Yearbook and school newspaper.

The Yearbook process requires cooperation between all the members of the yearbook staff.

Being on the yearbook staff is not as easy as one might think. It requires dedication and time management. Deadlines have to be met in order for the yearbook to be published on time. The deadlines teach valuable time management skills that will not quickly be forgotten. Procrastination won’t get either the yearbook or newspaper done!

Servite’s Yearbook Staff members are each issued a camera at the beginning of the year to use for taking pictures of assigned events. The gathered images will be used to create a great yearbook or to add some oomph to a newspaper article. “You will hear from Ms. Berardino every day to post PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!!! or to TAG, TAG, TAG!!!” says Anthony Pinel. Pictures freeze moments in time that can then be shared with current students and future alums alike.

Journalism teaches students how to tell stories that students can relate to. Mrs. Powers, the Journalism Adviser, has set high expectations for her students. One of her goals this year was to have staff members submit their online stories to the Student Online Newspaper Organization. “If three stories are selected to be published in the Best of SNO, The Spokesman Newspaper will receive a badge for writing excellence. I want that badge!” Mrs. Powers says.

This goal can only be achieved if journalism students’ submissions are up to the standards of the SNO Award Judges. In order to have a successful article, staff writers must have done research on their topic, include pictures or a video, and, preferably, some sort of hyperlink in their articles.

Readers of this article may not know it, but this school year there have only been seven people arduously working on both this year’s Yearbook and Newspaper. These seven seniors have put time and effort into capturing Servite memories to be printed and published in the 2014/15 Yearbook. They have devoted what time they could to also writing, editing, and posting news articles to TheSpokesman.org

Saul Betancourt, one of next year’s potential staff, says, “The yearbook can be fun, but it is also a huge project. A sense of seriousness must be applied to get the job done correctly, and I believe I can bring the sense of seriousness.” Michael Betwarda says, “I plan on creating new ideas for design and researching stories that will gain the interest of students. I also plan on contributing time which will help me become a better photographer and writer.” Next year’s Journalism/Yearbook class will be fortunate. They will have more students on staff to create stories and memories for the yearbook and newspaper.

Due to a late start and minimal staff, this year has been tough for the current Servite Journalism and Yearbook staff. In the end, these seven seniors accomplished more than any previous staffs. They sold more senior ads and achieved a higher coverage of each student in the yearbook than ever before. They started at the ground level to launch a new student writing project for the Los Angeles Times called the new LA Times Insider. And Ryan Hartnett, Editor-in-Chief, wound up getting an intern position, writing sports for the Orange County Register this summer.

“It’s been a wild ride,” said Joe Ferraro.